Charged with a crime? Call Us 24/7!
Sex Crimes Attorney in Houston, Texas
Being charged with any form of crime in Houston, Texas is already a handful. Imagine being arrested for sex crimes. Not only will you be stigmatized and ridiculed by society, but even your records are forever tarnished.
On top of that, you are also surrounded by your peers who will be at your trial. If you are within the worst-case scenario, where you have already been convicted for your sex crimes, it is evident that your life will be affected moving forward.With the standard practice for sex offenders, you will be charged with penalties, jail time, conditions, and probations. As a convicted sex offender, you are also enlisted in the National Sex Offender Registry. If that isn’t a warning sign for an individual not to commit such a crime, we wouldn’t know what is.
Here at The Law Office Of Annie Scott, we understand the grave importance of protecting a defendant’s rights and securing their ideals within the trial. By law, any individual is innocent until proven guilty with evidence beyond reasonable doubt, no matter what crime they are being accused of committing. Let us our sex crime attorney help you in your situation. Our law firm can provide you with knowledgeable, experienced, and professional advice from our competent defense attorneys. We want to ensure that you get the fighting chance you deserve.
What Are the Types Of Offenses?
There are a number of offenses that fall under the sex crimes. These are:
- Sexual Assault – Any form of physical or sexual contact without consent.
- Aggravated Sexual Assault – A form of sexual penetration with another individual without their consent or a sexual act done forcefully.
- Sexual Assault of a Child – Any form of physical or sexual contact with a child.
- Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child – Sexual penetration with a child without consent or a physical and sexual act done forcefully.
- Ongoing Continuous Sexual Assault of a Child – A sexual act is done in recurrence or more than twice to a minor 14 years old and below within 30 days.
- Indecency with a Child – An offense that is with intent to arouse the sexual desire of a minor.
- Indecent Exposure – Public exposure of an individual’s body or a portion of their body in a manner contrary to local standards.
- Sexual Relationship with a Student by an Educator – Any act, physical or sexual, between an educator and their student.
- Failure to Register as a Sex Offender – Not enlisting oneself after being proven to be a sex offender.
- Online Solicitation of a Minor – Intentionally or knowingly communicating in a sexual manner or through sexual content with a minor.
- Soliciting Prostitution – An agreement to exchange money for sex. Simply encouraging someone to commit such is already a crime.
What Are the Possible Penalties for Sex Offenders?
Punishments for sex crimes and offenders vary depending on the charge and circumstances they are involved in. Individuals with prior sex crimes and convictions are punished more severely, while first-time offenders go through the typical punishments within federal law.
Our law in the state of Texas does not take sex offenders lightly and choose to punish them for misconduct whether or not they have already been arrested for such. The court will discuss their current offense alongside their previous offenses should there be any.
Misdemeanors are within the context of first time offenders, public lewdness, indecent exposure, and prostitution. Their punishments are as follows:
- Class A misdemeanor is up to one year in state jail and fines up to $4,000
- Class B misdemeanor, up to 180 days in state jail with penalties up to $2,000
- Class C misdemeanor, fines up to $500
Felonies, on the other hand, are misdemeanors that have escalated to a certain extent, such as indecency and prostitution with a minor, sexual assault, and aggravated sexual assault.
- State jail felony, up to 180 days to two years
- Felony of the third degree, up to 10 years in prison
- Felony of the second degree, up to 20 years in prison
- Felony of the first degree, up to 99 years in prison
Defendants charged with any of the classifications of a felony may also be fined up to $10,000. Those convicted of sex crimes, despite the charges they are given, must register or enlist themselves as a sex offender with law enforcement.
Possible Legal Offense Within The Legal System
One of the main issues that most sex crimes encounter is that they do not have witnesses.
The majority of the cases handled are a “he/she said.” form of an accusation; however, even if that is the case, it is typical that those involved are the victim and the assailant. With that being said, it is still expected that the prosecutor will still fight hard to convict the accused.
Often enough, sex crimes are not easy to prove, and it is a challenge for the victim to prove that the crime took place. Defendants usually have the edge in proving themselves as not-guilty. Should there be insufficient evidence, alleged victims may also come off as lacking emotional and physical stability, as well as credibility.
Lasting Repercussions Of An Alleged Sex Crime Offender
The most common and obvious sex crimes involve physical sexual contact. Intentional sexual contact without an individual’s consent, including a minor, is already a sex offense. But as mentioned in the types of sex crimes and offenses, there are a variety of sexual encounters that can be considered viable in the court of law.
The penalties associated with these charges and conviction vary with the situation brought in the trial. Prison time and fines are brought upon them. Many of the crimes and felonies committed could affect both the accused and the victim’s lives for decades to come, which is why it isn’t taken lightly.
Get The Help You Need From A Houston, Tx Sex Crime Attorney
As mentioned, most sex crimes brought to court lack the witnesses to prove a claim. It is a wise decision to hire a sex crime attorney or a criminal defense attorney in Texas who can walk you through the process while providing you with the best-possible defense. The Law Office Of Annie Scott is here to assure you that you are not alone; we will help you in your case with your best interest at stake.
Schedule your free consultation at our criminal defense law firm today, and we can talk about the next steps you have to take.